Tuesday, December 16, 2014

12x12x12 Pictures Part 2

Let's just jump right in here - the other 6 pictures of my 121212 for 2014!


Top Left - This was a rough one, but a big "life experience" this year. Life hadn't been going so great, so I worked on this big plan to see some people up in Washington I hadn't seen in ages. Everything started falling apart - people all of a sudden weren't going to be around or just stopped answering me, a guy I was sorta seeing totally bailed on me, it just seemed doomed but I was determined to still go and just enjoy a good weekend. I got up to Seattle and I was leaving my car when I forgot I wanted to grab something from my backpack in my trunk, then just threw it back in the front seat instead of opening my trunk again. I got back a few hours later and... yup. Window smashed in, backpack stolen. There was nothing super important in there (no money/computer/etc) but it was a super shitty feeling and I've never had something like that happen to me before, and it was like bad piled on top of bad. Plus, that was the best backpack I've ever had and I can't find a new one just like it anywhere (and obviously don't remember the name of it). Life lesson, etc etc but it still sucked.

Top Middle - HOME! This was taken when I was able to make a surprise trip home a few months ago. Miss that place. A lot. 

Top Right - Kishi Bashi. I was front row for his show at Wonder and it was SO AMAZING. That guy is so talented and it's been great watching his career grow. He is pretty cool interacting with fans and he just released his own coffee (yes I ordered 2). Read my Kishi Bashi history here (I know I'm sorry, without Facebook all my pictures don't link right I'm sorry). Besides coffee, he releases a lot of cool stuff (fun colored vinyl, handmade stamp post cards) and just always has such a positive vibe. And his music is ridiculously original and fun. 

Bottom Left - Woo boy. Snails Pace Race has made a huge life comeback in 2014. We played the game as kids and randomly later on also, and for some reason I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play it so I bought it and brought it to some HOBY stuff. Smack talk ensued by the truck-full. Also I enjoy that this picture has Branson's door tag in it because he was a big part of many HOBY shenanigans this year and it was the first time he was able to go to HOBY NYCentral.

Bottom Middle - this is a picture of Multnomah Falls just outside of Portland. I stopped here on my way to Idaho and also brought my mom here when she visited. I'm glad I was able to share this with her, and it makes me remember her and Kevin's trips out here, and how much I love this city.

Bottom Right - I took this at probably the most moving and personal concert I went to all year. This is a picture of Bryan Poole, who played guitar for the longest time in of Montreal and who was always my favorite, playing with Elf Power (Jamie was there too and I kind of flipped out a little). It was amazing to be able to see BP and have him play my favorite guitar (on Everlasting Scream, no less). I was right in front of BP, and after Elf Power, the girl standing next to me said "You just looked so happy during that... you had a smile on your face the whole time and it was so awesome to see... and nice shirt" (Stay Rad). However, the thrilling part is they were opening for Neutral Milk Hotel. Jeff asks that nobody take pictures of his shows, and I respect that, so I don't have any pictures of him during the show (yes I do have one of him crossing the road beforehand...). Being able to actually see NMH live was such an amazing experience, and it's impossible to put into words who this band is and what they mean to so many people and how actually spiritual it feels to stand right in front of Jeff and sing along with Holland, 1945, with hundreds of other people. When he stops playing and just asks us to sing with him... so much of it was completely surreal. AND somehow I snagged a setlist from their first night which is proudly displayed on my wall o' musics in my living room. I cannot wait to see them one more time in Eugene next year before they possibly hang it up for good. 




It was a pretty eventful year. Now if I could only make some 2015 goals...

2 comments:

  1. this is so good! thanks for sharing and whew that 'life experience' of getting ripped off with a broken window SUCKS.

    i guess i should go write about goals too :)

    ReplyDelete

So I drove BACK across the country.

I had to leave Wednesday morning because I needed to be in central Illinois by Thursday afternoon for the David Foster Wallace conference. H...